The UNLV University Libraries supports research and lifelong learning for our students, faculty, and alumni. We understand research can take several different forms. Generally speaking, research is a process of inquiry that includes asking questions and seeking answers through a variety of perspectives, sources, and methods in order to develop a new understanding or to create new knowledge.
The Image of Research Contest invites researchers at all levels, from any discipline or community, to submit an inspiring image that reflects their research or research process accompanied by a 50 - 100 word description of the image. Submitted images and descriptions will be placed in one of four categories and they will be evaluated by a multi-disciplinary panel of judges. The winners from the four categories will be announced during a ceremony in Lied Library on Wednesday, October 3rd at 2:00 p.m.
- Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
Winners from each category receive $100 cash prize.
- Call for submissions opens: August 1st
- Submissions close: September 17th @11:59 pm
- Winners announced: Wednesday, October 3rd, @ 2:00 p.m. in the Armagosa Room at Lied Library. Selected submissions will be displayed on the Armagosa Room monitor gallery.
- Images submitted via the online submission form. The images should be less than or equal to 10 MB in jpeg format.
- The entrant must be principle creator of the image. Third party content can be used (e.g. mixed with other content), but submitting a third party image unaltered and without permission is not permitted. Entrants are responsible for ensuring that use of images or material that are under copyright by a third party either falls under fair use or that relevant permissions have been sought, that no copyright has been infringed, and that any necessary release forms have been signed. Images with a Creative Commons license maybe submitted if proper attribution is included.
- Submissions that do not meet the contest requirements will not be considered.
- A title of less than 250 characters.
- Text included with the submission should clearly define the entrant's research and demonstrate the connection between the image and that research. Additionally, submissions should be written for a lay audience, free of jargon, with the purpose to inspire interest in the research area. Though there is no word limit, text should range between 50-100 words.
Submissions are judged on three criteria
- Connection between image, text and research
- Visual impact
- All image submissions must be accompanied by text that connects image to the entrant's research.
- Image and text must be submitted via the online submission form.
- The entrant must be the creator/copyright holder of submitted images or have permission from the copyright holders to share the image(s).
- Entrants may submit on behalf of a group. The prize will be awarded to the entrant who may then divide the cash proceeds among the group at their own discretion.
- The entrant, as copyright owner, grants UNLV Libraries a non-exclusive license to share, use, and archive the work via a Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC4.0).
- Entrants are warned to consider confidentiality constraints before submitting to this competition. Researchers should consult with their stakeholders and subjects prior to sharing any information about the research.